[FreeNX-kNX] Client-side CUPS printing

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Nov 5 20:52:25 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 November 2007, Prakash Velayutham wrote:
> Hello Fabian/Alastair,
>
> I have this working now with Linux NX client and FreeNX server
> flawlessly. I am trying out the Windows client (with smb print sharing).
>
> What I see is this. Some how, the .nx/<session_folder>/cups/
> printers.conf file does not get written with the correct DeviceURI
> (smb://... ). Instead, it gets written as
> DeviceURI file://dev/null
>
> Is this correct?

No, but it would explain why nothing gets printed! This should be written by
the lpadmin command at the end of cmd_node_addprinter in nxnode and should
match the DEVICE_URI specified. It would be worth finding out what parameters
it is actually using, then running the command manually from within a session
to see if any errors occur, and if it gives the same result.

> When I start up kprinter, kprinter comes up, but just freezes in this
> situation. Is there a way that I can manually test the smb printer
> sharing and then start debugging in detail?

lpinfo should be able to tell you about the configured printer and lpr should
be able to send jobs to it. I don't use either often enough to say which
switches to use. You could also enable browsing in the cups config in nxnode,
then point a browser at it on the port 9000+display to get the normal cups
web interface - this used to work.

Slightly OT: I see we're still modifying KDE_PRINTRC with perl. I probably
forgot to mention this before, but can we use kwriteconfig instead? We could
replace the egreps, echos end perl regexp evaluation with:
  [ "$ENABLE_KDE_CUPS_DYNAMIC" = "1" ] &&
$COMMAND_KWRITECONFIG --file="$KDE_PRINTRC" --group=CUPS --key=Host '"$PATH_BIN/nxcups-gethost"'
  [ "$ENABLE_KDE_CUPS_DYNAMIC" != "1" ] &&
$COMMAND_KWRITECONFIG --file="$KDE_PRINTRC" --group=CUPS --key=Host
$NODE_CUPSD_SOCKET