[FreeNX-kNX] ConsoleKit integration

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sat Nov 3 15:56:45 UTC 2007

> I wonder if it'd be possible to have freenx play nicely with ConsoleKit.
> The
> short of it is that freenx needs to set an environment variable for each
> session.

This has _nothing_ to do with the core of FreeNX, though its a quite good idea for the redesign.

You can very easily do it yourself:

Add a /usr/bin/my-gnome-session script and do whatever you want in it,

Change

GNOME_COMMAND in either nxloadconfig or node.conf.

> See http://people.freedesktop.org/~mccann/doc/ConsoleKit/ConsoleKit.html

Host unreachable at the moment

> Why bother? When I connect to a Fedora 7 server using freenx, my
> connection is
> limited as far as launching processes that use the console, e.g.,
> gnome-mount
> refuses to mount USB drives, etc.

Well, from a developer perspective I find it irritating that KDM / GDM do set environment variables that are needed for normal operation.

(Because what if I want to use good old XDM instead ... Then I cannot use GNOME?)

You could also try to find out, which script they use for startup.

2 years ago it was completely okay to just start startkde or gnome-session and everything did work.

Now you need to spawn dbus with it and there seems to be no extra script to do it.

This is not only a problem for FreeNX, but also for XDM or even other custom DMs and I do not really like this development. (I could be wrong though of course)

It is okay that lots of daemons can be started and the work distributed by them, but there should be an easy to use "facade" to spawn it all via one command.

cu

Fabian