[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Fri Nov 2 18:46:34 UTC 2007

cedric briner wrote:
> hello,
>
> Sorry for the title, but I do not know how to do to see you reacting.
> But I'm getting quite nervous with freenx and the fact that there is no
> way to install it (or maybe I'm just a poor moron).
No, common problem actually with a lot of open source software that is
useful.

>  I mean what is the
> point of developing something when many people can't even install it.
Keyword there is many, not all.   :-)

However, I would like to point out, some distros are esier than others.

I think Fedora is the easiest to get freenx up and running.

yum install freenx

yum install nx

Did I miss anything?

:-)

> And I'm getting even more nervous because I do love this piece of
> software, which is radically awsome (when it works :P ).
I agree with this part.
>  I even give
> some idea of icon and name for the freenx (Very Long Screen Cable)
> because I LOVE IT.

You know I do not believe there is an official Icon for the project.
Please share!

It confuses the heck out of people right now too.
> I've seen many post with people asking for a .deb with not even a reply
> to them! (I was sadly part of them). So the alternative for this people
> is to use the tarball, which is a demoniac process where many admins
> just died. The documentation is mmh... let me find... non-existante.

Well, a couple of things:

Nomachine just dropped a bunch of code into the community.   It has
taken time to understand it, modify it and at this point we still do not
have a really straightforward client/server package to install precisely
because it is under such heavy development.  (i.e. it is changing rapidly.)

We really need more people to work on the project.

Documentation is going to be really hard too because it is changing and
so are the distros.

In case a lot of you haven't noticed, Linux is poised on yet another
revolution right now on two fronts:

1) Desktop drivers released by ATI are just NOW permitting Linux to
construct pretty user interfaces.  This was the only thing really
holding Linux back on the desktop front because a 3D engine is critical
to building nice interfaces that don't plow your machine into the ground.

Nice interfaces attract more people to Linux so this is a good thing.

Personally I see the open source community kicking Apple in the pants in
this area.  No commercial company for Christ sake could build a decent
OS kernel until Linux/BSD came along.   Apple just gave up and pulled
one form the open source community if that is any indication.

I believe the same potential exists for desktop user interfaces.   The
open source community if given a fair chance with open access to 3D
cards WILL PRODUCE a better desktop than even Apple.

2) Virtualization.

These two issues will more than likely have a big impact on this project
over time by attracting more people too it.
> I swear.. yes I swear... I tried hardly to install it. trying to
> construct from:
>   - the sources
>   - the deb are too old
>   - taking the tar file from nomachine and wishing to bind it with freenx
>
> So please, please can someone show us the path to the light.

To build the NX components I think you still have to pull the libs from
no machine, correct me if I am wrong or have those all been reverse
engineered?
> Sincerly
>
> Ced.

-Gregory