[FreeNX-kNX] Cannot load long webpage in NX

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 28 01:57:31 UTC 2007

> exactly, Xorg/Xfree eats up the free memory and X crashes

Yes.

> > > Disabling backing store on client might help with not image-related
> > > memory usage.
>
> it does NOT help with this problem, it does nothing at all at the client
> side
> (put as an option to Xorg)

Hm, okay.

> As far as I researched I found (I think) that the core of the problem is
> an
> built in extension in Xorg that is called MIT-SHM which cashes
> images/graphics in memory which is used by Xorg to recall recently opened
> images from memory in opposite to redraw them again.

That is different from my understanding that with MIT-SHM appication draw directly into a shared pixmap buffer.

But if that one is in the X-Server it might be that this causes the problems.

>I couldn't find a way
> disable it

-noshmem might work, though I don't know.

> Does anyone have an idea how to disable this "feature" in Xorg?

What (tested) does work however is:

-extension "MIT-SHM"

You can test it with xdpyinfo, which lists all the extensions.

> In my case memory is more important (in financial view) than a little
> performance issue.

Sure.

Hadn't thought about it that shared memories could be _that_ way when using remote X.

So, please report back and if it works, add it to the FAQ.

cu

Fabian