[FreeNX-kNX] How to pass parameter from Windows to Linux when starting nxsession (Fabian Franz)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 17 21:57:47 UTC 2007

> >> NX session.  I want to pass a parameter from a Windows
> >> client to the freenx Linux server. This parameter will
> >> be used when starting an application. Does anybody
> >> know if and how this is possible?
> >
> >Use Desktop:
> >Custom
> >Application: myprogram my_paramter

> Thanks for your information. I can pass now a static value to an
> application running on Linux, but I want to pass the Windows environment
> variable %computername% to a application startup script. Is there a way to
> do this?

You could automatically generate the nxclient session file, else I know of no way to passing it, but ...

... for the special case of computername you could enable the forwarding of the shared files and printers. (unless thats a security problem depending on your use case)

Then you could use on linux a command like:

smbhost -h 127.0.0.1:DISPLAY+3000 -L localhost

or so ...

I don't remember correct syntax but you get the idea ...

cu

Fabian