[FreeNX-kNX] NX performance issue

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Mar 12 21:46:31 UTC 2007

> > - Start nxagent directly and not via proxy like:
> >
> > local $ ssh -X user at remote
> > remote $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/NX/lib/ /usr/NX/bin/nxagent :1 &
> > remote $ DISPLAY=:1 vgl glxgears
>
> I tried that, but it is much slower.  If I understand the NX architecture,
> doesn't the above result in sending uncompressed images over the network
> the local machine?

Yes, I thought more of: running it on the same host, where bandwidth and latency should not matter.

If its something in nxagent that holds you back, you can find it via this way.

> > A last idea would be to always set glxtrap=1 in nxagent and
> > see what it does.
>
> This one was interesting.  When I set glxtrap to 1 always, it eliminates
> the
> initial fast performance that I was seeing.  Now everything performs at
> the
> slow level of performance all the time.

That is strange, okay.

Perhaps you had cached images of one try and nx was first using those cached images and then reverting to sending the images.

What about the pure nxproxy <-> nxproxy connection, where you have compression but no roundtrip suppression? Did you have the same fast then slow effect?

Else I suggest writing your initial question again to developers at nomachine.com (and please put freenx-knx in CC) as they might be also interested in faster OpenGL (I dunno).

If there is anything else I could do to help you debug it, please tell me.

cu

Fabian