[FreeNX-kNX] NX Connection per hand

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 1 03:19:44 UTC 2007

> Hello,
>
> i want to build a little bash skript which starts a NX connection.
> I know that NX is a text based protocol, so it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> After some time with google i found this:
> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR03C00171
>
> they talk about the nxproxy. But on my freenx server, nxproxy isn't
> installed and a connection with nomachine 2 client works fine. So i
> think that nxproxy isn't necessary..do i am right?

nxproxy or nxssh is necessary on client side.

> NX> 1009 Session status: starting
> NX> 710 Session status: running
> NX> 1002 Commit
> /usr/lib/nx/nxserver: line 1190:  5589 Terminated              sleep
> $AGENT_STARTUP_TIMEOUT
> NX> 105 NX> 1006 Session status: running

So now you can either send the bye command and change the stdout,stderr of ssh to nxproxy, or if you use unencrypted session, you can tell nxproxy to connect directly to nxserver.

nxproxy can be easily build from sources if you have nxcomp.

> <--little break for some seconds-->
>
> NX> 596 Session startup failed.
> NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.

Yes, the agent timed out.

> Info: Waiting for connection from '192.168.15.23' on port '5000'.
> Info: Aborting the procedure due to signal '1'.

Yes its waiting for connection from nxproxy.

> I think nxagent couldnt start. But why? does nxclient execute the
> nxagent seperated so that i can't see this in the log files?
>
> I hope someone can tell me a little bit more about "building a nx
> connection"

You are doing all right, but what the client additionally does is:

read 1006 Session status running < nxssh-pipe
echo bye > nxssh-pipe (remote end is connected via netcat to nxagent)

echo "<send some obscure switch command, which I don't remember at the moment>" > nxssh-pipe

nxssh starts up nxproxy in process of nxssh.

But if you only need unencrypted sessions, nxproxy -C <remote>:5000 should work fine.

And if that was not it, its -S.

But hey we got 5 clients in FreeNX SVN, you have full client source for 1.5.0 NoMachine Client on code.2x.com, so you'll surely be able to find out for yourself.

cu

Fabian