[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX: What is the file nxclient good for?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 20:42:00 UTC 2007

Johannes Kastl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just exchanged some mails with the suse maintainer of the FreeNX
> package. One problem I had was that I could not install his newest
> package, cos it wanted to overwrite the file /usr/NX/bin/nxclient from
> the nomachine nxclient rpm. That was no problem in older packages, as
> he now has changed the folders, and places the whole FreeNX stuff in
> /usr/NX/bin.
>
> I asked him, what this file is good for, and he could not really help me.

It is there (on the server) to send some visual feedback (dialog) back
to the NX user. It is not a *real* NX Client.

The same function is provided by the NoMachine package by having
the real NX Client ("nxclient") installed on the NX Server. (To install
NX Client is/was the precondition for installing the NX Server, because
this package also contained most of the core NX libraries -- dunno if
this is still the case with the current versions).

> Of course I am not talking about the nxclient file in the nomachine
> package, but in the FreeNX package. All I good get it to do was a
> small window with only a OK button.

That's what it does, yes. It is not meant to be used for a real NX Client.
It is there for compatibility reasons, and to make FreeNX work at all
(the way it does now).

> Can somebody please shed some light on this issue, I would have
> advised to delete the file in the packages, because of the above
> mentioned problems.

Don't you dare!  :-)

--
Kurt Pfeifle