[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.6.0.99 snapshot with full printing support and some bugs fixed

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Jan 29 18:47:35 UTC 2007

>I'm using !M nxclient 2.1.0-11 (system Debian testing, cups 1.2.7)
>and Debian testing, freenx svn rev 306, 1.5 backend
>(kanotix, now sidux.com) and cups 1.2.7 on the server side.

>> If I don't get any complaints and find no new bugs this will be
>> released as 0.6.1 (in a year or so ;-)).

>I had to put in that backingstore stuff again, maybe due to 1.5.
>backend.

Huh?

That means the autodetection code fails :-(

Could you look in nxloadconfig for the ENABLE_NX_2_0_0_BACKEND autodetection?

>> -> And nxloadconfig --check was extended to support all new
>> variables and automatically test them. So if you don't know if yo
>> uare ready for the next generation of printing (TM) just try it with
>> nxloadconfig --check.

>nxloadconfig contains some redundancy:

You mean a bug? ;-)

>>         * Added cups seamless support with no "use this driver?"
>>  dialogs at all.
>>           * Note: You need nxcupsd-wrapper on the client side.
>>                   Get it from nxutils repository.
>>

>well that works great.

Good.

>> -> You don't even have to click on "download" anymore. It will
>> without user interaction automatically retrieve and install the ppd
>> files. The trick is to have the ppds available in the ppd directory
>> on the client but with the special suffix _nxdl.ppd. With this
>> method, the local userspace cupsd does not try to load the ppds, but
>> the remote cupsd can still read them.
>>
>> If you use the nxcupsd-wrapper script, which is also necessary to
>> run the !M client with CUPS 1.2 it will automatically try to
>> download the PPDs. If you don't have this or the script does not
>> work do on the client something like:

>automatic download didn't work (though it did with some of your in
>between svn versions).

Hm, strange.

Did nxcupsd-warpper put the necessary _nxdl.pdds in the .nx/cups/ppd directory on the client?

>> So I hope you enjoyed this printing "service pack" and see you next
>> level :-).

>o.k., that nxipp thing is quite good.

You didn't really say if it in general did work or not, but I take it as a yes :-).

cu

Fabian