[FreeNX-kNX] maybe timing problems with nfs home and KDENXSession? WAS: problems to log in

Sebastian Reitenbach itlistuser at rapideye.de
Fri Jan 12 18:19:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org> wrote:
> The part you should be investigating is this:
> NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.
>
> I had a problem in this area a while back and IIRC this message is a little
misleading and could be caused by many things. There's a brief section on how
to debug this sort of thing in the wiki:
> http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX FAQ/Server
>
> Look for the section 'What can I do if nxagent won't start or I get a "NX>"
protocol error?' about half way down the page. In essence it's a quick guide
to manually doing what the nx client and server do so you can see what stage
it dies at.

again, thanks a lot for another hint. And you were perfectly right, the
problem has nothing to do with NFS. I found out that it was the DISPLAY the nx
server wanted to connect to. For some reason, he refused to communicate to
DISPLAY 1098. When trying to login shortly after, then it took another display
number, e.g. 1101.

I changed the DISPLAY_BASE from the Default 100 to 31000, and everything is
fine now.

Therefore some new questions arose, how/where is the nxserver deciding, on
which DISPLAY number is the next. The problem only occured with this DISPLAY
number, afaik I cannot remember problems with other numbers. I made a netstat,
but found nothing blocking that port. A lot of different people tried to
connect to the same host, all had the problem with the display number 1098. I
tried to connect from knx and from thinstation nx clients, all had this
problem.

anybody here has an explanation for this behaviour? would be really great if
somebody could tell me what might go on there.

thanks a lot

kind regards
Sebastian