[FreeNX-kNX] Minimum bandwidth req's

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:39:42 UTC 2007

On 22/02/07, Igor Manassypov <imanassypov at cicore.com> wrote:
> >From your experience, what are the minimum bandwidth requirements for
> near-realtime response from nxserver? I cant figure that part out, I
> need to calculate how many concurrent clients can a particular line
> sustain.
>

> Thanks!
>

> -igor

Wow, that was one large post. Well, a friend of mine told me he was
using nx via gprs, which is about 30kbps, I think. It's abit difficult
to answer your question, other than the standard "it depends". Because
it does, depend on what you'll be using nx for. Nx uses advanced
caching and compression techniques, which makes nx really fast. Do you
use audio? One way, or both ways? That requires bandwidth. Do you only
use applications with more or less static appearance? That won't
require alot of bandwidth, because it's cached on the client. I've
used tree concurrent connections on a 384kbps upstream line, and that
went very well. That was without audio. I could probably have added at
least two clients without problems. If I were you, I'd monitor the
clients bandwidth usage while connected to the server. Do the things
your users will be doing and see for yourself. Divide your available
bandwidth by the peak bandwidth usage from the test, and you'll have
the smallest number of clients you can have.

Good luck :)
Jo-Erlend