[FreeNX-kNX] Some protocol questions

Christopher Layne clayne at anodized.com
Wed Feb 21 16:58:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 05:40:33PM +0100, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > > - FreeNX still pretends to be a 1.5.0 even though a 2.1.0 backend is
> > used, due to protocol changes from 1.5.0 to 2.1.0, which I know nothing about.
> >
> > BTW: Wasn't this speculated to be a change by NX purposely to manipulate
> > the usage of freenx?
>
> ROTFL, you made my day.
>
> Uh, sure yes. We add a new feature to this TEXT based protocol, so that FreeNX can't be a 2.1.0 server ...
>
> Uhm, yes ... Sure.
>
> No, I rather think NoMachine cleaned up some interfaces and such the client sends partly other messages if FreeNX pretends to understand 2.1.0 protocol.
>
> And well it is imho FreeNXs fault if it says it does understand 2.1.0 even though it is not customized to do that, yet ...
>
> So, please let the paranoia aside.

I think you misinterpreted me Fabian.

What I was asking was about the inital response to the NX 2.x changes by NX,
not FreeNX. I seem to faintly remember something of this nature around that
time, but unfortunately I cannot find the reference to it now. Perhaps I was
just misinterpreting it at the time.

I myself am not paranoid about it, I've always been under the impression that
NoMachine supported FreeNX's activities. :)

-cl