[FreeNX-kNX] Screen Re-Draw Problem

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Feb 6 06:52:41 UTC 2007

> on a debian testing machine (xorg 7.1.1), I startet /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
> :100 as root. then, as unprivileged user, nxclient (Version 2.1.0-11) is
> started (using :100 as display)....no automatic refresh on VT switch is
> happening.
>
> the same setup, but first starting fluxbox and then nxclient from there:
> refresh works.
>
> could anyone confirm this behavior? Is it a bug or just not possible t
> use NX(client) without a window manager running?

I don't know about this special case, but in general it is a bad idea to have applications run without WM as most depend on at least some properties of WMs.

WM does indeed do some part of the refresh work for example - as far as I remember.

I remember that I had some issues too and started just kwin as it allows no user-input or something like that.

So work-arounding it by starting a simple WM seems the way to go.

cu

Fabian