[FreeNX-kNX] Screen Re-Draw Problem

Reto Buerki buerki at swiss-it.ch
Mon Feb 5 17:00:43 UTC 2007

I made some more tests and I found out that it has nothing to do with
our jail or xserver. It happens when no window manager is used and the
nxclient is the only xclient. this is what I did:

on a debian testing machine (xorg 7.1.1), I startet /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
:100 as root. then, as unprivileged user, nxclient (Version 2.1.0-11) is
started (using :100 as display)....no automatic refresh on VT switch is
happening.

the same setup, but first starting fluxbox and then nxclient from there:
refresh works.

could anyone confirm this behavior? Is it a bug or just not possible to
use NX(client) without a window manager running?

Reto Buerki wrote:
> Fabian Franz wrote:
>>> actually the screen is not all black. The background is there, only the
>>> icons and panels are missing or are not drawn properly; and there are
>>> some strange stripes sometimes. when I move the mouse over the panels,
>>> the icons re-appear. and after a few seconds (depends on the user
>>> activity with keyboard and mouse), the screen looks OK again. no
>>> activity -> no screen re-drawing
>> Okay, I think I have an idea what might be causing your problems.
>>
>> NX 2.1.0 has lazy-image encoding enabled.
>>
>> You can disable it via Ctrl+Alt+E and possibly some nxagent swtich.
> I tried this but it does not work.
>> So try:
>>
>> Ctrl+Alt+E -> Wait for Dialog box that says its disabled.
>>
>> - Try your "routine".
>>
>> That might be the thing.
> If only :( I talked with a developer on #xorg channel and he told me
> that he thinks (he was not quite sure about it though) that it is the
> graphic drivers job to restore the screen buffers on VT switch. The
> strange thing is that I tried with different drivers and it's always the
> same. So somehow the drivers are not able to restore the buffer.
> does anyone have an idea why this could happen?

Reto Bürki
secunet SwissIT AG
Hauptbahnhofstrasse 12
CH - 4501 Solothurn