[FreeNX-kNX] freenx nxdesktop startup - question

Jean Vieira sepoys at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:23:58 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm having only one issue setting up a freenx server that is acting only as
a proxy to a remote RDP server. Everything works as it should, except the
keyboard map; as you guys may know, in Brazil we have some special keybinds
as a special keyboard layouts.

I'll describe my problem in the next lines, but just to resume: How can I
run an 'xmodmap' before calling the 'nxdesktop' command at the 'nxnode'
script ? I've been trying to insert the 'xmodmap some-file'  command in the
RDP session call in the 'nxnode' script, or even at the start of the ssh
session (nxnode-login), but have not been successful; or the xmapmod hangs
there and the nxdesktop doesn't start, or it runs but the xmodmap is not
effective when the nxdesktop script/program is called.

Starting with using the '-k pt-br' option, I've been trying a lot of setup
combinations unsuccessfully; at some point, almost all keybinds worked fine,
but on our layout, next to the 'z' we have a '\ |' key, and at the other end
next to right-shift, we have the a '/ ?' key; these two bind I cannot get
all the way to the rdp session (at an Unix session, everything works as it
should).

I've realized that using a 'xmodmap' BEFORE starting a session, solves my
problem. I'm using a custom Xmodmap config file, customized to brazilian
layout (it already comes with some Xorg-packing, depending on the Linux
distribution). That being said, I'll show how it works today:

One script at a public path, calling:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/NX/lib nxdesktop -kpt-br rdp-terminal-host

and at the NX setup, I can use either the 'DEFAULT_WM' option at the
node.conf config file, starting this command, or a 'Custom' Unix session at
my client's session profile that calls the same script ("Run the following
command" option).

I've not found other way to have all the keybinds going correctly all the
way to the nxdesktop session.

And thank you freenx-team for the great work !

Regards,
Jean

--
+-------+