[FreeNX-kNX] How to constrain the number of sessions for one user?

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu Apr 12 07:36:08 UTC 2007

> I have a Linux machine in the lab, and a windows xp on my laptop.  I
> usually open lots of windows or programs in the linux machine before
> going home. But I found that when I use freeNX client to log into the

Is the windows/applications you open done locally on the Linux machine
via the console, or via a NX Client?
If you need to control the console remotely, there has been a lot of
discussions here on that subject - search the mailinglist for more info.
If you open alot of windows/applications in a FreeNX session, you need
to suspend the session to be able to resume/reconnect to it (try:
CTRL+ALT+T).

> linux machine (using the same user name), it just gives a brand clean
> desktop.  Is there any way to constrain only one session for just one
> user name, so that I can achieve almost the same as the remote desktop
> access in windows xp?

If you already have a session running (with a client connected to that
session), you will get a new session. You need to suspend the session
first.
Here it looks like you want the same feature as WinXP - one session
which is available at the console and remote, if this is so then
search the maillinglist for more info.
You can constrain the number of sessions through the node.conf file -
you should find all the necessary docs inside that file.

> That is, I always get the same desktop no matter I use the linux machine
> or use a client to access the linux machine.

By default, the NX technology doesn't give you this out-of-the-box,
but there has been (on the m-list) some people who have experimented
with X11 to login on the console through the NX Client.
There are also people who have been using VNC to get to the console
through the NX Client, this I think Fabian has incorporated into the
SVN version also.

/Terje