[FreeNX-kNX] MacOSX keyboard model

jhonyl at netscape.net jhonyl at netscape.net
Sun Apr 1 13:45:43 UTC 2007

 Hi,

 I have installed freeNX 0.6.0 on debian, and I need clients to connect to it from both macs and PCs. The problem is that with MacOSX the keyboard is wrong. It types wrong characters. I tried with gnome to change 'keyboard model' to Macintosh_Old which fixed most of the problem. I still had a few buttons which didn't work right. I managed to fix them with xmodmap. However I need non techi people to be using it and to be moving between MacOSX machines , and Windows clients with maximum ease. As it is if I set it for Mac it will be wrong under windows. I then "spoke" with someone on IRC who said that he use the comercial NX server with OSX, and that he didn't ever had any problem with the keyboard, and that it had always just worked. So I wonder how to make the keyboard layout/model work seemlessly for MacOSX. I was thinking of making a script to change the keyboard model in gnome and to do the xmodmap. And so I would have to have a similar script for windows. But I thought that maybe there is a better option. Anyway now I have got stuck with the writing of that script because for some reason when I used gconftool-2 to set the keyboard model it had no effect on the environment. With --get, gconftool-2 did return the right value for the keyboard model, but with gconf-editor it still showed that the old value is there, and from the point of view of the keyboard behaviour there was no effect to the gconftool-2 --set. Anyway such a setup is not exactly seemless, because the user would have to double click on the right script, and who knows what would happen if one user has two sessions one in windows and one on mac at the same time, but that is all that I know so far. Please help.