[FreeNX-kNX] Unable to get freenx to work in RHEL3

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 04:49:57 UTC 2006

> The client is a WinXP box.
> I imported the /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key to the NX client, and
> tried connecting.
> Still no success. The same error:

On the client, you clicked Configure > Key... > Import and selected the
client.id_dsa.key that you copied from your server?

> "Server not installed or client access diabled"
>
> And when I click on details I see:
> NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 924
> NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
> NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
> NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
> NX> 200 Connected to address: xx.xx.xx.xx on port: 22
> NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
> NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I would look into adding Loglevel DEBUG3 to your sshd_config file and
restarting the sshd daemon. Try connecting again and then examine
/var/log/secure.log to find out what is failing. This error means that
sshd is not accepting the key pair. I have also seen that some
sshd_config's may have this line which can screw things up:

Authorizedkeysfile	.ssh/authorized_keys

Since Freenx uses authorized_keys2, try either commenting out that line
or adding a 2 to the end.

> The instructions at the location below is for a ver 1.50 client. The
> current downlod available from nomachine is 2.0 which I am using.
> http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx

If you look at the screen shots, the 1.5 client is almost identical to
the 2.0 client, and the setup *is* the same.

> Could this be a problem?
> There is no logs getting updated in /var/log/nxserver.log
> What else could be so wrong in my install?

nxserver.log will only fill if you have set the NX_LOG_LEVEL log setting
in /etc/nxserver/node.conf.

Regards,

Rick Sout