[FreeNX-kNX] Authentication failure

Yang g07dgk502 at sneakemail.com
Sat Sep 2 23:18:13 UTC 2006

I didn't end up getting any useful responses for this thread (which I
tried to resurrect once already), so I gave up on NX for a while, but
today I decided to give it another go, and managed to get a tiny bit
farther.

The story up till now: I yum-installed freenx on an up-to-date FC5,
and I can ssh in as user nx from my (Windows) client machine just
fine, but the NX client fails to authenticate. The client is from
http://www.nomachine.com/download-client-windows.php. It simply says
"Authentication failed for user kunle" (the Details button is grayed
out).

Today I went ahead and did something that all the resources I'd found
failed to mention:

sudo nxserver --adduser kunle
sudo nxserver --passwd kunle

Now my client actually makes it all the way to "Authentication
completed"! However, it stays at "Authentication completed" for more
than half a minute before spitting out "Connection timeout." This time
the Details button is enabled, so clicking on it shows the output I
pasted below. (I also checked /var/log/nxserver.log but it was empty.)

Does anybody have an idea what's going on? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Details:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3792
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: 128.30.76.188 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-50 OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.5.0
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.5.0
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: kunle
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: harvard.csail.mit.edu user: kunle
NX> 105 listsession --user="kunle" --status="suspended,running"
--geometry="1680x1050x16+render" --type="unix-gnome"
NX> 127 Sessions list of user 'kunle' for reconnect:

Display Type             Session ID                       Options
Depth Screen         Status      Session Name

NX> 148 Server capacity: not reached for user: kunle
NX> 105 startsession  --link="wan" --backingstore="1" --nodelay="1"
--encryption="1" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --media="0"
--session="main" --type="unix-gnome" --geometry="1680x1020"
--kbtype="pc102/en_US" --screeninfo="1680x1020x16+render"

Killed by signal 15.