[FreeNX-kNX] Cups 1.2

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Nov 20 18:58:20 UTC 2006

Alastair Johnson schreef:

>>>No, so far I see now it does not. When I start a connection with Cups
>>>enabled, I get an error "Can't launch CUPS server".
>
> Nomachine are probably already on the case then.

Yes, but not with the 1.5 client I guess...
I think they have a build-in Cups in 2.1, but I am not sure.

> This may also be a good time
> to work on the printing support in the open client.

OK ;-)

>>But a samba-printer is no problem, it works on a client with Cups 1.2.
>>A Samba-printer uses no usermode cupsd on the client.
>>
>>I've used a printerdriver in NXclient, I think these drivers are buildin
>>into NXclient. I've used the RAW driver on the server.
>>
>>I am not so sure about security.
>
> Interesting. I've never looked at samba print support. I assumed it would be
> similar to the CUPS support. Any idea how it works?

There is a private cupsd on the server on port 10000, what connects to a
printer with an URL like: smb://localhost:4000/laserjet

This will connects to a smbd on the client, I don't know the details,
but I can do a "smbclient -p 4000 -L localhost", and see the shares.

Samba connects to the printer, normally over Cups.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.