[FreeNX-kNX] FreeBSD Port: net/nxserver

dewey hylton freenx at deweyonline.com
Tue May 30 02:33:24 UTC 2006

Quoting Jason DiCioccio <jd at ods.org>:

> Dewey,
>   Sounds good to me.. If I can't do it, hopefully there's enough interest
> in NX to get it done :).  But I'd like to give it a shot.
>
> Thanks!
> -JD-
>
> > Quoting Jason DiCioccio <jd at ods.org>:
> >
> >> So.  Here's another question for you (I emailed you the other day).  I
> >> notice that the nxserver port is currently only at 1.4.0.  Has an
> >> upgrade
> >> been attempted?  If not, I might do so, but I'd like to know if you
> >> encountered any roadblocks and what those might be?  Or if you
> >> anticipate
> >> the upgrade to break freenx?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Jason DiCioccio
> >
> > an upgrade (1.5.0) has indeed been attempted; i spent about 24 (real)
> > hours on
> > it, and for the most part finally got everything to compile. however, i
> > encountered operational errors that i was unable to solve in the time
> > given. i
> > am not familiar in the least with X programming, so this port proved to be
> > pretty tough for me.
> >
> > freenx, for the most part, is no big problem - it's written in bash. if
> > you are
> > really interested, i may bundle what i have so far (which was accomplished
> > last
> > november) and post it on the web for you and others to pick through.

sorry for the late return mail; we just had a baby, so our life has been turned
upside down a bit.

and now for another apology; i said i'd get my latest nx work put on the web for
you to play with ... as it turns out, it's already there! someone else had asked
for it back in december, so it's been there half a year already.

it can be found here:
http://www.deweyonline.com/nx/freebsd.html

though my spare time is scarce and i haven't worked on this in half a year, i am
VERY interested in getting it working. i look forward to having your help/input,
and will certainly give you whatever help i can. i have control over several
vmware servers so testing is fairly easy for me. it's the debugging of code
(x11-related stuff, mostly) that i don't understand in the first place that
takes so much time.

thanks for your interest - and please pass this along to anyone else you think
may see benefit or be interested in helping!

dewey
A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?