[FreeNX-kNX] socksifying nxclient 1.5.0-141

Felix E. Klee fk at linuxburg.de
Wed May 24 11:23:55 UTC 2006

I frequently use "ssh -D" plus "socksify" to connect to machines in remote
networks.  This works fine with client software such as ssh, vnc, and mostly
also with nxclient (to FreeNX servers).  However, with nxclient there's a
curious problem that gets triggered as follows:

1. I turn ssh into a socks server for the remote network:

  ssh -D 1080 remotehost.dyndns.org

2. I run nxclient:

  socksify nxclient

3. I click on the "Configure..." button.  Now my system swaps like mad and is
  unusable for several minutes.  Afterwards, it comes back and I can continue
  using nxclient just as I expected.  The culprit, according to top, is
  "smbclient" which uses vast amounts of memory.  I wonder why "nxclient"
  starts "smbclient": None of the stored NX sessions makes use of Samba.

Does anyone know what may be causing this problem (e.g. by avoiding the start
of smbclient)?  Can anyone replicate it?  Is anyone here successfully
socksifying nxclient?

Software versions:

* SuSE Linux 9.2

* openssh 3.9p1

* nxclient 1.5.0-141

* Dante 1.1.14

* Linux kernel (by SuSE): Linux oregon 2.6.8-24.19-default #1 Tue Nov 29
  14:32:45 UTC 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Dante configuration in /etc/socks.conf:

route {
        from: 0.0.0.0/0
        to: 0.0.0.0/0