[FreeNX-kNX] Trouble establishing manual NX connection

The Beast in Black beast.list at gmail.com
Wed May 24 07:23:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to establish a manual connection between my NX server box and my
NX client box without using NoMachine's free-as-in-beer client, but have so
far been unable to do so.

My setup is as follows:
OS: Fedora Core 5
NX Server (FreeNX): NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL), Installed from
Rick Stout's FC5 RPM set at:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/
nxproxy: Version 1.5.0
nxagent: Version 1.5.0
nxssh: Version 1.5.0
nxcomp support library: Version 1.5.0
nxcompext support library: Version 1.5.0

Initially, i followed the guidelines mentioned in article #*AR03C00171*,
available at: http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR03C00171 (and
also at: http://home.nc.rr.com/moznx/typical.txt), but i always got the
following error:

1004 Error: nxagent failed to start with: NXAGENT: Fatal IO error on display
"nx/nx,options=/home/junkuser/.nx/C-mybox-1000-5B5B60AF2792129E1AAE4335095A71FD/options:1000".

I tried different permutations of the "startsession" options, but nothing
seemed to help, and i always ended up getting this error. I did of course
make sure that when starting nxproxy, all my options (such as the session id
and the proxy cookie) were set correctly, but no cigar :(

After crying long and hard, I then decided to try another approach and
performed the following steps:

1. Used xauth to add the new display (where nxagent would be run) to the
xauth list

2. Started nxagent on the server (192.168.1.99) on the new display with the
following command line:
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/NX LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/NX/lib
DISPLAY=nx/nx,cache=16M,images=32M,link=adsl,media=1,limit=0,cleanup=1,type=unix-kde,accept=
192.168.1.34,render=1:250 nxagent -geometry 1024x768 -kbtype pc102/en_US
-terminate -bs never -nopersistent :250

3. Started nxproxy on the client (192.168.1.34) with the following command
line(s):
./nxproxy -S cookie=b60b5aa05ceb3b81be1aedcfe28d11f5 192.168.1.99:250

4. After the above, i got the message on the server that the client had
connected, and on the client box i got a message saying that it connected to
the remote server and that X compression protocol was started. Now, i tried
to spawn an xterm on the new display on the server using the command line:
 DISPLAY=:250 xterm

At this point, i expected the spawned xterm to pop up on the client box, but
nothing happened, and after a while i got the same "NXAGENT: Fatal IO error
on display" error, nxagent closed, and nxproxy lost the connection.

I can't get over the feeling that i'm missing something completely obvious
to more enlightened souls, and that there's something more i need to do to
get this running. I would appreciate any help i can get on this matter.

Thanks,
The Beast