[FreeNX-kNX] NX as a second connection to live sessions?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 20:26:11 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 March 2006 19:09, Luke Hutchison wrote:
> I have been looking for information as to how to connect the NX client
> to live sessions, a la VNC.  By this I mean if I'm logged into my
> desktop directly using X, is it possible to connect the NX client to
> this live session from a different machine, and see the exact same
> desktop session on both machines?
>
> My impression is that this is not currently possible, at least not with
> current FreeNX.  Is this a planned feature?

Yes it is.

> It would help for desktop
> support situations,

We know.

> as well as situations where the same session needs
> to be visible from two locations (e.g. I use Evolution and Firefox both
> at home and from campus, and I have to kill both whenever I switch
> between the local session and the NX session).

A well working workaround:

You could start running your local session as an NX session, where
you simply connect NX Client to your client machine's IP address
(which needs FreeNX or NoMachine NX server installed, of course).
In other words (to make it overly clear): your one machine is NX
server to its own NX client.

Now, when you are moving to another place, just "take over" the
running session on what was your previously NX client.