[FreeNX-kNX] Compiling Nomachines NX from Source

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.L-H at gmx.de
Wed Mar 22 10:17:36 UTC 2006

Hi

On Monday 20 March 2006 13:53, Daniel Spannbauer wrote:
> Stefan Lippers-Hollmann schrieb:

[...]

> Hallo,
>
> sorry about the missing Infos.
> System is SuSE 8.0 on a Pentium4-System.
> automake ist 1.4, make is 1.62, binutils is 2.11.92.0.10-89, XFree86
> Version 4.2.0.
>
> The Problem is: My System is not UpToDate. The the RPMs semmed to be
> worthless for me.

The binary RPMs are useless of course, but that doesn't mean you can't use
the source RPMs and recompile on your host system, this will provide you
with a proper RPM package and probably no real porting efforts.

> And i can't Update the System cause ists our Server.
> I downloaded the Sources from nomachine, unpacked it and made a "make
> World" in nx-X11. The the Error-Message was displayed.
> On a newer System (SuSE 8.2) the make World was doing fine.

What is the problem with rebuilding the SuSE-factory source RPMs
http://mirror.karneval.cz/pub/linux/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/nosrc/NX-1.5.0-27.nosrc.rpm
(or any other mirror, the version number might change any time) on SuSE 8.1
(rpmbuild -ba)?
Given that SuSE obviously seems to classify NX as nosrc, you'll probably
have to provide the upstream tarballs to rpm as well. Since SuSE-factory is
still using X.org 6.9, there aren't any incompatibilities to be expected
while compiling, although checking patches and NX.spec won't hurt either.
At least backporting packages for debian sid (gcc-4.0, X.org 6.9) to debian
sarge (gcc-3.3, XFree86 4.3.0) doesn't require any changes.

Take care that you'll need updated FreeNX and kNX packages as well, at least
FreeNX 0.4.4 is a requirement for NX 1.5 compatibility.

> Regards
>
> Daniel Spannbauer

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann