[FreeNX-kNX] FeeeNX cups printing authentication

Pieter Thysebaert pieter.thysebaert at intec.ugent.be
Mon Jun 19 12:22:11 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm running Debian sarge with
NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-45-SVN OS (GPL)

installed from deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/stable/
stable-backports nx

On the client side, I'm also running sarge with the noMachine 1.5.0
official client. the nxclient on the server side is the same official
1.5.0 client.

I'm attempting to enable transparent printing to a CUPS printer attached
to the client.

I have skimmed through the archives to resolve the following problems:
1. delete the -noautokill option given to nxclient by nxnode
2. replace lpadmin with /usr/sbin/lpadmin in nxnode

What I'm left with now, however, is a CUPS authentication problem.  At
the server side, a user cupsd is started (and I get the printer config
dialog) running on port 10000, and it  knows about one printer at
localhost:3000

At the client side is a user cupsd listening on port 20000, and connects
to the client side system cupsd. The user cupsd requires authentication.

Port 3000 on the server is effectively tunnelled to port 20000 on the
client, and connecting on the server to port 3000 using username and
password written (in insecure debug mode) to /var/log/nxserver.log works.

However, "IPP_PORT=10000 lpr test.txt" on the server gets stuck on an
authentication problem:

On the server side, the user cupsd reports

 Getting supported attributes...
E [18/Jun/2006:20:09:25 +0200] [Job 1] Unable to get printer status
(client-error-not-authorized)!

On the client side, the user cupsd reports

AcceptClient: 4 from localhost:20000.
D [01/Jun/2006:23:37:11 +0200] ReadClient: 4 POST /printers/Deskjet HTTP/1.1
D [01/Jun/2006:23:37:11 +0200] SendError: 4 code=401 (Unauthorized)
D [01/Jun/2006:23:37:11 +0200] CloseClient: 4

Can anyone tell me what some causes of this problem may be? What are the
configuration requirements for the system cupsd on both client and
server required for this to work?
When/by what program is the user/password pair listed in
/var/log/nxserver.log used?

Thx,
Pieter