[FreeNX-kNX] nxclient crashes on Windows, works fine on Linux

* * richardvoigt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:56:31 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Jack Tanner <ihok at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> > Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:

> >>Indeed, it crashed Cygwin xserver!

This is very useful information.

> > Correction:
> >
> > It crashes Cygwin xserver only when I connect with "ssh -X ...".
> > When I connect with "ssh -Y ..." everything works fine.

This is... odd.  Please run xdpyinfo on cygwin's xterm, then over ssh
in both working and failure modes.

ssh -Y assumes the remote is trusted, and therefore allows X
extensions to run.  ssh -X allows only the most basic commands.

> > So, where should I complain now?
> >
> > nxclient, Cygwin, or the program that crashes?

You were running the Cygwin XWin_GL server, right?  No nxclient at
all, no attempt to run nxagent over ssh, just a "natural" X protocol
tunnelled through ssh?  Then the mailing list cygwin-xfree at cygwin.com
is the place to take this.

BTW, you may now have conflicting versions of cygwin DLLs, which will
cause a problem if you try to run cygwin and nxclient at the same
time.  If you rename the old versions under nclient\bin\cyg*.dll then
nx will find the new ones installed by cygwin.  However, DO NOT DELETE
cygXcomp.dll, it's not provided by normal cygwin.

If you had been running nxclient and XWin_GL simultaneously, you may
want to run your tests again to make sure the DLLs didn't cause a
problem.

You might try the other window manager options single (no parameters)
and Win32 ("-multiwindow") and see if this affects anything.

> Try to reproduce with the !M server (rather than FreeNX). If the problem
> doesn't go away, file a bug with NoMachine.

Nope, if cygwin's X server crashes, it's not NoMachine's fault....
however once the cygwin problem is solved we will all need to bother
nomachine to incorporate the bug fix.