[FreeNX-kNX] nxagent failure on FC5

Pete Connolly pete.connolly at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 17 21:25:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 17 August 2006 22:03, Esme wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 August 2006 14:50, Alastair Johnson wrote:
> > Take 1 clean partition, install FC5 with the 'web server' option, make
> > sure to turn off SELinux, add a user, yum update, yum install kdebase,
> > yum install freenx then set up client with the key and try to connect.
> >
> > Result: it works. So it _can_ be as easy as that.
>
> SE Linux can cause problems?  Hmmn... do you think App Armour might, too?
> (I have a problem with NX server on Suse 10.1, which has App Armour, you
> see).
>
> Esme

It's very possible for AppArmor to stop things from working.  The good news is
that it's possible to disable AppArmor in the Yast control panel.  Start
yast, click 'Novell AppArmor' then clik on 'AppArmor Control Panel'.  Here
you can disable the protection.

If that works, and you still need AppArmor protecting your system, you can
profile NX using the 'Add Profile Wizard' which will allow you to use
the /var/log/messages file to see how NX operates on your system, then only
use the file, directories, sockets etc that it needs.  Once you have a good
profile, you can enable AppArmor and NX will continue to function and it will
be very, very difficult for anyone to crack your system using this route.

Good luck!

Cheers

Pete