[FreeNX-kNX] Cannot connect to nxserver-freenx-0.5.0 on Gentoo

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Wed Apr 12 20:31:33 UTC 2006

Hello.

I installed freenx 0.5.0 on a Gentoo Linux system using the packages

	nx-x11-1.5.0-r5
	nxclient-1.5.0-r2
	nxcomp-1.5.0-r1
	nxproxy-1.5.0
	nxserver-freenx-0.5.0
	nxssh-1.5.0

from the Gentoo Portage tree. To complete the installation, I followed
the Gentoo Wiki at <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_FreeNX_Server> and
<http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_FreeNX_Server#howto_install>. The
only "unusal" things were:

# find /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh -type f -exec rm -f {} ';'
# nxsetup --install

After that I copied /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key to my
local client and had the nxclint 1.5.0 import the key. After
that, I restarted the OpenSSH server on the NX host. I also added
my user account to the list of allowed users by running "nxserver
--adduser askwar".

I then tried to connect, but it fails :( In the client, I get
an error window showing "Server not installed or NX access
disabled". Clicking on "Detail" shows the following:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 18595
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 200 Connected to address: 13.33.09.4 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

(I changed the IP in the output above.)

As this didn't work, I added a password for the account by
doing "nxserver --passwd askwar". After this, I tried to
login again - still fails :( Same error message as above.

As the OpenSSH from Gentoo is using ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
instead of ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2, I added the contents
of the "2 file" to the "good" file, ie: cat authorized_keys2>>authorized_keys
Didn't help.

What am I missing? What do I have to do, to get NX to
work?

Thanks,

Alexander Skwar
--
# Basic IBM dingbats, some of which will never have a purpose clear
# to mankind