[FreeNX-kNX] Compiling NX1.5.0 on amd64

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Sat Sep 24 20:59:23 UTC 2005

Xiong Jiang wrote:
> It's the package that released by NoMachine. Anywhere is it stated that
> the files in nx-X11/lib/X11was not written by your people and supposed
> to be the same Xlib code of XFree86/X.org distributions?

This is mentioned everywhere, from the license to the technical documents.
The NameOfTheFile.XF86.original/NameOfTheFile.NX.original files you find
in the nx-X11 tree are there for a reason, don't you think?

> You know I am not trolling.

You are frustrated by your early insuccess (that I would consider normal
given the complexity of the project) and want to turn this in a flamebait,
with a great deal of success, as far as I can see.

Please read again:

Xiong Jiang wrote:
 > Releasing the NX OSS package is no doubt a great effort made by NoMachine
 > however releasing it doesn't mean set it free and take no care of it at
 > all. To maintain it more extra effort is needed such as patching, bug
 > tracking etc. NoMachine has no  obligation for these so other OSS project
 > has to pick it up.

So "we take no care of it at all"... NoMachine runs the same software
in its commercial products. We keep fixing bugs every day affecting the
OSS software and the updates are published regularly, together with any
new NoMachine NX release. We have pubblicly offered bounties to get some
OSS jobs done and are actively working with Fabian and Lawrence to imple-
ment features that will go into the next FreeNX versions. We have 4
developers working full-time at the OSS part for every engineer working
at the closed-source software.

I personally care an AMD64 port less than nothing and I'm the one that
sets the priorities. Blame me, if you want, not NoMachine.

I stated more than once that we don't plan to release specific versions
of NX for AMD64 because the 32 bit versions work perfectly OK for our
customers, because this would cause more packaging overhead without any
monetary return and because at the moment we don't have the resources
to put at the job. If Sun jumps on-board, things may change. For now
that's it. Additionally, (given that this has recently been another source
of complaints) we are not pressed to solve the GCC 4 compilation problems,
simply because the commercial product is compiled with GCC 3. As the
maintainer of nxcomp, I run GCC 3 and don't have any personal motivation
to move my (virtual) ass to a different machine just to please some OSS
packaging project.

We have our priorities and these priorities are likely to be different
from yours. I don't see the problem. You are welcome to contribute your
work, if you like. There is a clear procedure for contributing changes,
documented in the NoMachine KB. Otherwise let us work on what we consider
important. There is plenty of choice, I think.

 > I have spent several nights on it, and have reported the compilation
 > attempt at length.

So what? I plaude at your efforts. Now should I throw what I'm doing
and jump on board to help you with the AMD64 port? Should NoMachine do
that everytime somebody in the FreeNX list is advocating the feature
du-jour?

Finally: want NX to be simpler to master? You are welcome to add to the
documentation. Anyhow, if you find that making X11 code is hard, don't
blame NoMachine for that. We work on this stuff since years and have
received -very few- contributions, if -any- at all. I don't think it's
because NX is not well documented. Maybe it's because contributing to
X requires more than a casual look. See how successful other X projects
are at attracting developers...

 > I understand that critical words are hard to digest but if you think
 > this is still trolling I could say nothing else.

I love critics, as everybody else. I also presume to have enough
experience to decide myself if somebody is trolling.

> No more flamebait

Wonderful. In the meanwhile I will stop reading this list for some time,
just in case people here will keep behaving like some who think that
just because something is OSS we should become slave of every wish or
desire of the community.

It's Saturday, have fun.

/Gian Filippo.