[FreeNX-kNX] DPI an issue with 1.5?

Kurt Granroth freenx at granroth.org
Sat Sep 17 22:21:25 UTC 2005

I've finally gotten around to playing with NX 1.5 with FreeNX 0.4.4
(SuSE 9.3 w/ RPM) and I am nearly totally thrilled.  I danced a poor
imitation of a jig when I saw that suspended sessions kept running
after disconnect.  No more having to quit KBiff and KMail during
suspend!

I then started up a session on my 15" PowerBook and suspended it.
Then, went to my 17" iMac and resumed ... and tadah, it worked!  I am
now looking forward to that day when the desktop auto-resizes to the
client screen size (similar to RDP) but this is a great first step.

Then, I tried the next level of test which was to resume the session
on one of my Linux boxes with a 19" monitor.  Oops!  That didn't work
at all.  It showed me the session as suspended but Resume was grayed
out.  So I looked through the (now getting old) docs on resuming on
different resolutions and the like and tried to make as many as
possible the same.  The end result looks something like this:

15" PowerBook:
   dimensions:    1280x854 pixels (433x289 millimeters)
   resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
   depth of root window:    24 planes

17" iMac:
   dimensions:    1440x900 pixels (488x305 millimeters)
   resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
   depth of root window:    24 planes

19" LCD (Dell 1905):
   dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (374x302 millimeters)
   resolution:    87x86 dots per inch
   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
   depth of root window:    24 planes

Now clearly the dimensions are different in all three but the fact
that the session resumed just fine on the PowerBook and on the iMac
shows that that is no longer an issue.  The depths are identical on
all three.  The only difference is DPI.

I bring this up because I was under the assumption that DPI wasn't
supposed to be one of the factors.  I can't find any reason for that
assumption so I may be (and likely am) way off the mark ... but it's
worth asking anyway.  Must the DPI be the same for resume to work in
1.5?

Kurt