[FreeNX-kNX] Problems reconnecting Windows clients after brief network outage (was:Windows 98 Compatibility)

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Mon Nov 7 22:59:09 UTC 2005

Hi Dewey,

Thank you very much for the helpful reply.  It is greatly appreciated
whether it's a sure-fire answer or not.

Network instability:

On a Linux client, if the network is disconnected, you get a popup
saying "No response from the remote server.  Would you like to terminate
the current connection?"  If you say no, the session will continue after
the network connection comes back up.  I just got an update from the
users with some clarification on what is happening on the windows XP
boxes.  This is different from what they were telling me before, and
unfortunately, I don't have a Windows box to test with here, since we're
all Linux. (The 3 existing Windows boxes are all remote.)  Apparently,
the Windows boxes, after about 30 seconds get the same "No response from
server" message.  But clicking to say that they do not want to terminate
the current connection never actually works.  They always end up having
to terminate it and restart.  I guess I need to break down and set up a
Windows box here for testing.  (Shudder!) It certainly is sounding like
some difference in the OS itself.

Compression:

I gleaned some info from Kurt's "Arrival of NX" series.  I think that
modem, basically adds some jpeg compression to the background, etc.  I
can't tell the difference in quality even on a detailed hi-res image, so
I just have everything set to modem.  Kurt says that does not hurt and
sometimes helps and that makes sense to me.

FC2/3 weirdness:

I need to upgrade this client to Fedora Core 4 or Centos 4.2, so that
will hopefully take care of the popup messages about the connection
being shut down.  The fullscreen resolution problem is really more of an
"I wonder if this could be a clue" sort of thing.

By far, the problem with robustness in the face of network instability
is the main concern.  I'm sharing the logs from the network monitoring
I'm running with the customer and I think they're going to OK a
fractional T1 at the main location, and maybe at the troublesome
satellite, which is the real solution, after all.

Again, thank you for the reply.  :-)

-Steve