[FreeNX-kNX] gnome/kde fade to black logout (OFF TOPIC)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 11:45:11 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 08:17, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Onsdag 23 november 2005 03:21 skrev Kurt Pfeifle:
> > On Wednesday 23 November 2005 00:30, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > > Both Gnome and KDE have (God knows why) decided it is cool
> > > to copy the Windows logout behavior of doing the whole fade
> > > the screen to black & white when popping up the "Do you
> > > really want to logout" request at the end of a session.
> > >
> > > This causes really annoying behavior when that session is
> > > running over a NX connection, desperately trying to paint the
> > > whole screen over and over and bogging down my system so that
> > > I can hardly get the mouse to move to click on OK.
> >
> > I've never seen this, ever; neither in KDE nor in Gnome. The reason may
> > be twofold:
> >
> >  * in KDE (which I use mostly), I have learned the habit to always run
> >    "kpersonalizer" on any new account I get, on any machine, or on any
> >    new install. There I make sure to switch off all so called "eye
> >    candy" that I do either not like, or that I suspect to over-use
> >    scarce resorces when remote-GUI-ing.
> >
> >  * in my NX sessions I never use the logout from the K menu; I always
> >    use the NX-provided mechanism: use the window menu (or the "X" icon)
> >    to close the window, this lets pop up the NX dialog box to offer me
> >    "Terminate, Suspend or Cancel?" the session.
>
> This is a GEM  (The kpersonalizer). I recall it being called automatically in
> some incarnation af SuSE - but it went away. And I never knew its name...
> Same story with knetapplet (or is it just netapplet), a real gem.
>
> Kurt knows 'em all. Where do we mere mortals go to find a list of hidden
> pearls in KDE? (:-))

Investigate the executables in "bin/" subdirectory of your $KDEDIR.   ;-)

Or, to make it more fun:

  for i in $(ls -1 $(kde-config --exec-prefix --expandvars)/bin/*); do
      echo "----------------------"
      echo " Next command: $i"
      echo
      echo "Now executing: $i --help"
      $i --help | less
      echo
      echo "Now executing: $i --help-kde"
      $i --help-kde | less
      echo
  done | less

(Use with care -- side effect may occur.)