[FreeNX-kNX] gnome/kde fade to black logout

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 02:21:31 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 00:30, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Both Gnome and KDE have (God knows why) decided it is cool
> to copy the Windows logout behavior of doing the whole fade
> the screen to black & white when popping up the "Do you
> really want to logout" request at the end of a session.
>
> This causes really annoying behavior when that session is
> running over a NX connection, desperately trying to paint the
> whole screen over and over and bogging down my system so that
> I can hardly get the mouse to move to click on OK.

I've never seen this, ever; neither in KDE nor in Gnome. The reason may
be twofold:

 * in KDE (which I use mostly), I have learned the habit to always run
   "kpersonalizer" on any new account I get, on any machine, or on any
   new install. There I make sure to switch off all so called "eye
   candy" that I do either not like, or that I suspect to over-use
   scarce resorces when remote-GUI-ing.

 * in my NX sessions I never use the logout from the K menu; I always
   use the NX-provided mechanism: use the window menu (or the "X" icon)
   to close the window, this lets pop up the NX dialog box to offer me
   "Terminate, Suspend or Cancel?" the session.