[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.4.1 Printing issue, windows -> unix

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jun 29 22:15:54 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 21:29, Raul Carolus wrote:
> Congrats on the 0.4.1 release.
>
> I have an issue with printing.  Here's what's going on:
>
> win2k -> linux kde session.
> Using freenx, and nomachine's 1.5 code.
>
> Sharing a folder and a printer off the w2k machine, and it's defined in
> the nomachine client.
>
> When I connect to the server, I get a message that the folder has been
> mounted, and I can see my files in the folder.
>
> I also get a "select driver" NX box for the printer, I select the driver
> and click "Ok."  When I pull up the kde printer manager, the printer is
> not there.  Looking in the cups error log for my session
> ~/.nx/C-.../cups/error_log, I saw that the admin was running on port
> 10000.  Opening a browser, I go there and see my printer and it looks
> like it's configured correctly (device uri:
> smb://localhost:4000/HPLaserJ).  However when I click "Print Test Page"
> I get the wonderufl error:  client-error-not-possible
>
> Checking the logs, the only thing I see is in the .nx/cups/error_log
> file.  that's the line:  Denying user "" access to print "HPLaserJ"...

Fix your access rights on your NX client. It seems it does not allow
printing for anonymous users. Look for the "share" properties of the
printer....

Also, try to insert the username to use in kprinter's configuration:

 "kprinter" --> "Expand..." or "Options>>" --> "System Options" -->
            --> "CUPS server" --> "Account Information" -->
            --> remove check from "Anonymous" and insert your username
                (the one you use on your local Win NX client)

> I assume it's an access thing, and I'll poke until I find it.
>
> But in the mean time, I wonder why the printer is not showing up in the
> kde printer's window.  Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Not sure here.

But if you can see it via the browser, on port 10000, you should be
able to do

 "kprinter" --> "Expand..." or "Options>>" --> "System Options" -->
            --> "CUPS server" --> "Server information" --> "Port" -->
            --> change it to 10000

(Be aware, that in your next NX session, this port may be different from
10000).

> Thanks,
>
> Raul

Cheers,