[FreeNX-kNX] Freeze on NX Client for Windows

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Jul 21 18:58:25 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 July 2005 15:19, Christopher Holman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> RE: the NX Client seems to freeze for no apperent reason. What
> can I do to monitor and report this?
>
> The setup I have works really well in the main. I have an NX windows
> client running on XP and connencting over ADSL via a VPN into a corporate
> LAN and a RedHat AS4 development sever thats running FreeNX 4.0.1.

This version does not exist, neither as FreeNX nor as NoMachine NX GPL
source component....

> I do all of my development(mainly JAVA) on this remote server, as it is
> connected to an array of test systems that must be present for my
> application to run.
>
> This setup works really well, but occasionally(once a day) and for
> no apparrent reason, the client freezes. I dont know if this is due to
> the client or the server, but I cannot close the client, even using
> the TaskManager.

How long did you wait?

Didnt the NX Client run into a timeout? (at least wait for more than
60 seconds)

> The most effective way I can find is to kill the VPN
> connection.
>
> When I re-connect, a new nx session is started, but when I interrogate the
> nxserver my previous session is still running.

This should be fixed in FreeNX version 0.4.2 (to be announced soon);
version is uploaded, or available via CVS already...

> Terminating the session
> doesnt seem to work and I end up having to kill the nxagent to allow
> me to open my ide (netbeans), as it only allows a single
> instance to be open per user.

Oh, I always thought netbeans was state of the art?   ;-P

> I cant find any information about why the hang occurr's, not even sure
> where to look. Can I enable a debug mode for the server?

Have a look at the "node.conf" file, or the "node.conf.sample".

> This isnt urgent, more of an inconvenience, but I would like to get to
> the bottom of it if possible.
>
> I'm a software engineer who is in the enviable position of working from
> home.
> This wouldnt be possible without FreeNX, so my deepest gratitude

This would be for 99.9% of the code the software engineers employed
by NoMachine.

Unfortunately, your gratitude doesnt pay their wages. Maybe you can
consider to upgrade to one of the NoMachine NX Server versions (they
are available for free to test, and they come with full support by
NoMachine).

> to all who put this together from myself and my family.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

Cheers,
Kurt