[FreeNX-kNX] Freeze on NX Client for Windows

Christopher Holman HOLMANC at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jul 21 14:19:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

RE: the NX Client seems to freeze for no apperent reason. What
can I do to monitor and report this?

The setup I have works really well in the main. I have an NX windows
client running on XP and connencting over ADSL via a VPN into a corporate
LAN and a RedHat AS4 development sever thats running FreeNX 4.0.1.
I do all of my development(mainly JAVA) on this remote server, as it is
connected to an array of test systems that must be present for my
application to run.

This setup works really well, but occasionally(once a day) and for
no apparrent reason, the client freezes. I dont know if this is due to
the client or the server, but I cannot close the client, even using
the TaskManager. The most effective way I can find is to kill the VPN
connection.

When I re-connect, a new nx session is started, but when I interrogate the

nxserver my previous session is still running. Terminating the session
doesnt seem to work and I end up having to kill the nxagent to allow
me to open my ide (netbeans), as it only allows a single
instance to be open per user.

I cant find any information about why the hang occurr's, not even sure
where to look. Can I enable a debug mode for the server?

This isnt urgent, more of an inconvenience, but I would like to get to
the bottom of it if possible.

I'm a software engineer who is in the enviable position of working from
home.
This wouldnt be possible without FreeNX, so my deepest gratitude
to all who put this together from myself and my family.

Regards,
Chris