[FreeNX-kNX] Looking for NX and FreeNX success stories

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Wed Jul 20 09:10:25 UTC 2005

Bruce Stephens schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>So anyone using NX logs in as the user "nx" with a public key. After
>>this, the user "nx" uses a shell called "nxserver", and then you
>>need to login with a password.
>
> Yes, and that password is verified (by default) using ssh, and its own
> password database.  So if ssh is configured not to allow passwords (as
> mine are), and I haven't added a password to nxserver's database, then
> that's not going to work.  (Other methods are available, such as su
> (which would have worked in my setup), but they're disabled by
> default.)

The password is not verified by SSH, but by nxserver. NXserver will
authenticate normaly to the same users as SSH is authenticating.

So it is not a problem to use a SSH and not to allow passwords.

Please correct me when I am wrong...

> None of this is really a problem for most users, I imagine.  And in
> the great scheme of things these are minor issues, and I'm sure
> there's a document somewhere that describes all of this so I could
> have quickly fixed it, but I didn't find it.

There is not so much documentation at the moment. The source is the best
documentation, and because it are bash-scripts, it's not really complex.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.