[FreeNX-kNX] Looking for NX and FreeNX success stories

Bruce Stephens freenx at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 17:44:00 UTC 2005

"T. Haegele" <tim at lanfx.de> writes:

> Am Dienstag 19 Juli 2005 00:56 schrieb Bruce Stephens:
>> Anyway, I found nxtunnel and nxtunnel-server scripts somewhere and
>> hacked them so they work appropriately for me, and I'm just using
>> iptables and ssh port forwarding to get the two ports that they
>> require through (they use :80, so I need 4080 and 6080).
>>
>> Many of the problems I was having before was not really realising that
>> NX requires these two additional ports (whose number can vary a bit
>> depending on exactly what you do), and both ends of my connection are
>> behind NAT routers and things which just chop off extra connections
>> (ssh is OK, but anything else requires a bit of work).
>
> I was under the impression that NX only needs port 22 if you "Enable
> SSL encryption of all trafic" in the client.

That's said to be true of nxclient, but it didn't seem to work for me,
but possibly at the stage when I tried it something else was wrong
(specifically, maybe this was before I'd fixed up authentication
properly: I have ssh not allowing password authentication, so the
default config of freenx wouldn't have worked, regardless of port
issues).

I'm not really arguing against the NX approach; I'm just suggesting
that an easy way to present it to people might be to present something
that works very much like VNC, but is significantly faster.

Maybe my problem was just that it hasn't all been packaged neatly
yet---maybe things will all be easier once distributions have smoothed
the rough edges.