[FreeNX-kNX] Performance note

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Mon Jul 18 13:14:58 UTC 2005

Op maandag 18 juli 2005 12:26, schreef Nicholas Lee:
> On 7/18/05, Martin Honermeyer <maze at strahlungsfrei.de> wrote:
> > Yeah, I am already regularly using an NX server almost 500 kilometres
> > away, with OpenVPN over a DSL line. Works great, almost as fast as a
> > local machine :-)
>
> Does increasing the compress ratio (LAN -> modem) help with latency
> over distance?  I know when I tested the NX servers in europe from NZ
> it wasn't great, and Fabian meant it when he test from Germany (I
> guess) a machine I set up for him in NZ.

Ehm you should know that Australia and New Zealand have a crappy connection to
the rest of the internet. AFAIK 2 of the 3 Australia <-> Asia connections
are/were down because of fishing trawlers. When this happens excess bandwidth
demand is thrown over satelite connections (very high latency).

	Henk Poley <><