[FreeNX-kNX] Looking for NX and FreeNX success stories (was "Re: Performance note")

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jul 18 11:38:01 UTC 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 10:56, Nicholas Lee wrote:
> It was faster to load this page
> http://gallery.ii.net.nz/la-sainte-chapelle?page=3 with the thumbnails
> from a remote desktop instances running  (Xen) on the same machine as
> the web server, than it was from a desktop client on my local lan.
>
> This is will modem level compress to the remote desktop over a 256kps DSL link.
>
> Actually the local desktop is NX based as well to a server on the local lan.
>
> The images on the remote desktop are a little blurry, but not enough
> to be noticable.  This desktop has been setup so I can one of my users
> who is going into China next week to test it over a openvpn link and
> see what the latency is like.
>
> Impressive!

Thanks for this nice testimonial!   ;-)

Nicholas, I assume we can use that on our forthcoming FreeNX web site,
including your name?

We are looking into putting up a section with some real world success
stories.

So if there is nothing else you can do to keep these industrious NX
and FreeNX developers motivated, please provide more testimonials
about how you use (Free)NX, and what your experience with it is.

Specifically, I'd like to ask you to send in 2 types of statements:

 * short ones, "testimonial"-type statements like the one by
   Nicholas above. 1 - 3 sentences at the most.

 * longer ones, "success story"-type articles, giving more
   detailed background information about your (Free)NX installment.

For the longer ones, consider to deal with these questions:

- If you run a business deploying (Free)NX: how many customers
  do you have using (Free)NX?
- what do the customers (the bosses) say about it?
- If you are someone who installed and administers (Free)NX: what
  are typical work environments they use (Free)NX for? (distances,
  bandwidth, latencies, hardware, OS, software, business type,
  workflows, jobs to get done, ... )
- how many (Free)NX users served by one (Free)NX server?
- how do end users like it?
- what was used before (Free)NX?
- what are the current shortcomings of (Free)NX for your scenarios?
- what are the strong points of (Free)NX?
- did you run performance tests? which were the results?
- any other important points I may have missed above

Thanks & cheers,
Kurt