[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on SUSE9.3 - howto??

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Sun Jul 10 11:01:33 UTC 2005

hi list,

- I'm a little puzzled here. I've used the commercial version of
nx-server/client for a long time, no problems.
- now, on my brand new SuSE9.3 distro, FreeNX is included.
I install it using YAST.

Now what?

I can't seem to find any documentation that hereafter tells what to do in
order to get it running...
I installed the nomachine nx-client, and did a nxserver --start. This doesn't
work until I fix up a diretory in /usr/lib-somewhere.

I somehow managed to start the nx-server, using nxserver --start. I then added
a user with nxserver --adduser <name> and also fixed a password. Still, when
I fire up the nomachine client, I get a variety of stupid messages saying
that the server is either not installed or the user nx could not be
authenticated.

I must admit I find it a REAL pity that a lot of people do a lot of rather
great work with a rather fine product like FreeNX. And then - only due to bad
or missing documentation - creates a lot of frustration...

I edited /etc/nxserver/node.conf - and remembered to restart the nx-server
with nxserver --restart - all to no avail.

If possible, I'd lke to use FreeNX just like the commercial version, meaning
if a user exists on the server system and may log in using SSH, then that's
all it takes. Is that possible?

Does a short how-to or description exists somewhere? The one that goes
into /usr/share/doc/packages/Freenx on SuSE9.3 is outdated, confusing and
useless.

Phew, what a frustration. I was studpid enough to think that FreeNX would be
just like the NoMachine NX server. Anyhow, if someone bears over with me and
tells me how - it's most appreciated!

So, thank you in advance!!

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards