[FreeNX-kNX] why is initial authentication/connecting so slow?

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Fri Feb 18 22:58:27 UTC 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>> You can tail -f the 'sshlog and the 'session' output and check
>> what's taking so long. Would you be so kind to do that for me?
>> This is first time I hear about such a slowness problem.
>
> I'm not sure I know what you mean.
>
> What is a ssh log? A normal system log that logs ssh connections?
> There's only normal stuff in it.
>
> What is the session output?

You are new to NX, aren't you. Check the .nx directory in your home.
Use the 'find' utility to locate the files.

>> Can it be that the slowness is related to resolving entries
>> when xauth is run on the client?
>
> I don't know?
> How to check it?

Try running the 'xauth list' and the 'xauth add ...' command. That's
the way nxclient checks or creates the X cookie.

> What "resolving entries" do you refer to?

xauth tries to reverse the names. This can take long if there are
many entries in .Xauthority and/or if any of them can't be resolved.

/Gian Filippo.