[FreeNX-kNX] why is initial authentication/connecting so slow?

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Fri Feb 18 14:12:14 UTC 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> OK, I found that it is that slow only when I use NoMachine nxclient.

You can tail -f the 'sshlog and the 'session' output and check
what's taking so long. Would you be so kind to do that for me?
This is first time I hear about such a slowness problem.

> With Knx connecting takes few seconds, but I'm unable to connect in the
> end, as Knx does not support connecting in a SSH/SSL tunnel, but instead
> wants to connect directly to :5001 port.

So, how much time does it take to connect with the NoMachine
client when not using SSH/SSL tunneling?

Can it be that the slowness is related to resolving entries
when xauth is run on the client? What exact version of nxclient
are you using (Configure -> Environment -> About)?

Old versions of nxclient were requesting a full list of all
the entries listed in the .Xauthority file, instead of checking
only the right cookie. This required running a name lookup for
each entry, including non-existing hosts. This problem should
have been solved in recent versions.

/Gian Filippo.