[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX and NoMachine NX: what is our relation [was: FreeNX and NXServer]

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Feb 15 15:01:44 UTC 2005

  ( My CC-ing and crossposting to the FreeNX-kNX at kde.org +

On Monday 14 February 2005 21:55, Peter Edmond wrote to nxusers at nomachine.com:

> I've tried both setups 'in anger',

???

[...]

> 3.	FreeNX uses the standard open source ssl libraries. NXServer uses
> NXssh, so I guess that ultimately,

You missed one point here: what is called "nxssh" is not a complete
SSH installation (forked, patched or modified), but just a client,
that is solely run in user space by the nx user, with no extra
privileges. So any security implications that could come up will
also have the same limited impact.

> the FreeNX is the best approach from
> a security process, as more people work with and analyse the ssl libraries.

This may or may not be true. But there is more to it: nxssh is there
for a reason (a technical one). There are features in current NX and
its future development roadmap that require a separate nxssh client
(or an acceptance of the NX features into upstream OpenSSH source).
However, you will still be able to use the standard OpenSSH client
with NX, if this is your desire, but be aware that you will eventually
be missing some features. For this reason, FreeNX will support the use
of the standard OpenSSH client in the future too -- but we are aware
of the implications.

[ It is the same with NX overall: you may use remote X, remote VNC
  and remote RDP without nxcomp [=NX compression]  -- even without
  NX altogether! --  and you can still have remote GUI sessions. But
  you will be missing "features" you may surely have learned to love
  by now.... ;-)   ]

> On the other hand
> FreeNX is easy to edit/develop etc, and now that the code is freely
> available, it should improve rapidly.

This introduces a very unfortunate turn of phrase and "tonguing"
into the discussion.

I dont like the mindset that seems to be behind a sentence like that.
Let me state the following very clearly, as one of the guys who were
instrumental in founding the FreeNX project at all, and trying to
make it more popular:

    Without NoMachine's GPL-d NX, FreeNX is nothing!

and repeat after me:

FreeNX is not a competition to NoMachine NX that seeks to displace
NoMachine and its NX technology by our own fork  -- just as KDE or
kdelibs are not a competition to Qt that seeks to displace Qt and
Trolltech! We rather are convinced that this technology is of major
benefit to many people (and ourselves personally) and want to make
it more popular.

FreeNX is not striving to become better than "!M NX".

We are currently not at all working on the !M NX core library code at
all, even though we *could* and though it has generously been donated
by NoMachine to the GPL/FOSS camp of the world. This is partially for
lack of time, partially of lack of knowlege and competence. Without
any doubt, the best fond and repository of knowledge regarding this
delicate technology is at home at the NoMachine commercial company.

Should we ever start to make changes and improvements to the core NX
code, this surely will not be made in the spirit of competition to
"out-NX" the NX-creators, but in the spirit of cooperation and mutual
help.

FreeNX and NoMachine NX developers are cooperating to make this
splendid softare more known, and more used in this world, and to make
it even better. There are other "competitors" were we should join
forces to become better than them -- competitos who never have giving
a single line of code to the GPL/FOSS camp (let alone as much as
NoMachine have).

We are collaborating with NoMachine, not competing.

Cheers,
Kurt Pfeifle  (co-founder of the FreeNX project)