[FreeNX-kNX] nxserver constantly fails during authentication on login

Dimitrije Nikic webmaster at dnetzone.net
Tue Feb 1 06:49:20 UTC 2005

Hello folks,

I've been having some trouble getting my NX server up and running for some time now. I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (Unstable), and the NX packages provided by the Debian repository.

After installing all the necessary packages, I ran nxsetup, and received this output:

Searching for nxserver binary...done
Setting up /etc/nxserver/ ...done
Setting up /var/lib/nxserver/ ...done
Setting up known_hosts and .ssh/authorized_keys2 ...done
Setting up permissions ...done
Ok, nxserver is ready.

PAM authentication enabled:
  All users will be able to login with their
  normal passwords.

You can change this behaviour in the nxserver script.
Have Fun!

However, once I attempt to make a connection to my server from another machine, I get an error which states "Server not installed or NX remote access disabled". Pressing the detailed error information button revealed the following:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 2819
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 200 Connected to address: 127.0.0.1 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I can login to my SSH server, so THAT shouldn't be the problem (well, that's what I guess). I tried to run nxserver both with and without using the user db, changed key settings, etc., But none of my attempts have been successful in avoiding the error so far.

I hope anyone can help me - NX runs fine on my father's computer (yes, I did try to use his settings, and it still didn't work for me - He is using an version of nxlibs though: One that's no longer available from Debian), and I would love to be able to use this great tool as well... And to provide a little Linux propaganda to my friends as well =)

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Happy hacking.

Dimitrije Nikic
WebMaster at DNetZone.Net