[FreeNX-kNX] rootless/application mode over internet?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Aug 28 22:44:43 UTC 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 07:58, Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:

> Although yes some form of
> application chooser popping up would allow for greater flexibility.

I'll try to see to it that I find someone here at aKademy who can
point me to a way so that the "K Menu" could be displayed in a
window".

But I know of another way that could be a good approximation to what
you want (and I think it should work on all recent KDE versions since
3.0):

 * Start konqueror
 * Type "applications:/" into the URL/address field
 * Hit "Enter". Voila!

If this works (as I hope it does), the custom command to use to start
this application launcher is

  konqueror applications:/

Attention: if you want to give your users a hint about where this new
window originates from, use this variation:

  konqueror --caption 'Application Launcher on Remote NX-Server' applications:/

otherwise it may be too easily confused with "local" windows.

Of course, this method is still starting a complete Konqueror (file manager,
web browser, and a Jack-of-all-Trades type of embedding shell for many, many
different apps. This may be much more than you want to give to your users,
and there may also be security considerations. To optimize that, there are
2 more methods in KDE you could want to look at:

  1. Create a special "View Profile" which you launch from nxclient
     (Menu --> Settings --> Load View Profile ...). For that profile,
     take away everything you do not need to launch applications.

  2. Use the "Kiosk" lockdown mechanism of KDE to make the profile
     settings mentioned in "1." immutable.

Have fun!
Cheers,
Kurt