[FreeNX-kNX] Strange connection-problem with FreeNX

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Wed Aug 17 16:57:55 UTC 2005

I'm having some strange issues with FreeNX. I installed it a while ago on my
Ubuntu-machine, using the NoMachine-keys and it worked beautifully. It worked
even from my workplace. But as I tried it today, it wouldn't work. It
authenticates like it should, and I then get the black screen with the
NoMachine-logo. Then the screen disappears, and nothing happens. No
error-message, no nothing. This happens if I try to log in to KDE. If I try
to log in to Gnome, the blac screen disappears, and I get an error-message
saying "Session Ubuntu Failed". The log looks like this:

NXPROXY - Version 1.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2005 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '2808'.
Warning: Connected to remote NXPROXY version 1.4.0 with local version 1.5.0.
Info: Synchronizing local and remote caches.
Info: Handshaking with remote proxy completed.
Info: Remote proxy doesn't support fake authentication.
Info: Forwarding the real X authorization cookie.
Info: Using cache parameters 4/262144/8192KB/8192KB.
Info: Using image cache parameters 1/1/32768KB.
Info: Using adsl link parameters 8192/8/1/5.
Info: Using pack method '16m-jpeg-7' with session 'unix-gnome'.
Info: Using ZLIB data compression level 3.
Info: Using ZLIB data threshold set to 32.
Info: Using ZLIB stream compression level 6.
Info: Using remote ZLIB data compression level 3.
Info: Using remote ZLIB stream compression level 6.
Info: No suitable cache file found.
Info: Starting X protocol compression.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory support in X server.
Info: End of session requested by remote proxy.
Info: Shutting down the link and exiting.

Now, if I try to log in as another user (as my wife), it works like it should.
Both KDE and Gnome work beautifully. But it does not work if I use my own
username.

I have tried removing and reinstalling freenx on the server, I have removed
the .nx folder from my home-folder and it just wont work.