[FreeNX-kNX] No response received from the remote server. Do

dewey hylton freenx at deweyonline.com
Fri Aug 12 15:54:56 UTC 2005

you want to terminate the current session?

> From: Clay McCoy <freenx at claymccoy.com>
> Subject: [FreeNX-kNX] No response received from the remote server. Do
> 	you want to terminate the current session?
>
> Get this.  After several days of playing around with FreeNX at my house
> right next to my server.  I finally get it working for the first time on
> my Mac OS X laptop while I am a hundred miles away from the server using
> a hotel wireless network.  I can't believe it!  It's great.  Well almost
> great, there are a few minor problems.
> I reverted back to a 1.4 mac client (thanks to everyone helping with
> that) and it actually works.
> It is very fast for the most part, but it stops every few minutes and
> then a dialog comes up and says:
> "No response received from the remote server.  Do you want to terminate
> the current session?"
> Then it is responsive again.  Anyone seen this?  It is quite annoying.
> Is it that somethign is not setup right, or just the network I happen to
> be on?
> Thanks everyone, what an exciting product!!
> Clay

dropping and coming back sounds like an interference issue (someone turned on a
hairdryer, etc.) or perhaps power management on your wireless card.

a few months back i had a customer that complained about the "session timeout"
... they said they'd get dropped after X hours and have to reconnect. i
eventually figured out that their dynamic ip was changing - their provider's
dhcp server kept doling out new (different) addresses to the clients, probably
to prevent them from running services. every time the ip would change,
communications between nxclient and freenx was dropped. but it wouldn't ever
come back like yours seems to be doing.