[FreeNX-kNX] can't choose keyboard in a rootless mode?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Thu Aug 11 10:13:55 UTC 2005

I was using nx to start Mozilla Thunderbird on a remote machine.
I was starting an IceWM session first, as a new virtual desktop, and
then I was starting Thunderbird in it. Keyboard was working fine.

Recently I relized that with 1.5 version I don't have to start the whole
session anymore; a floating windows is enough.

So now I start Thunderbird directly in a floating window, but the
keyboard is wrong. I can't choose the keyboard in nxclient (I guess it's
because when using floating windows, I use my PC's keyboard settings,
right?).

I can't create any characters which are created with a help of the
"alt-key", for example alt+q should be "@", instead of ~ I get + (I use
a German keyboard).
This is as if the alt key wasn't transmitted in a floating window mode?

These keys work fine on my PC (where I start nxclient), or when I start
the session as a new virtual desktop.

I have freenx-0.4.4.

Is there a workaround for that?

--